Don’t get us started on the price of fuel! £61 at the time of publishing to fill a family car with unleaded petrol.
There has to be a way of making your fuel go further, and there is. You can drive greener.
Driving greener has the much welcomed benefit of saving you money. If you drive, following our tips and tricks will allow you to maximise the usage of both your car and your fuel.
- Avoid overfilling the tank when refuelling. Spilled fuel evaporates and releases harmful emissions into the atmosphere and just plain wastes money.
- Make sure that your tires are inflated to the correct pressure. Under inflation by 7psi will waste half a gallon of fuel in every tank. Inflating to the vehicle manufacturer’s guidelines -which are based on cold tires, so use the petrol station nearest your start point to avoid your tyres warming up and being inflated to the incorrect psi.
- Service your car at least every year. Get the engine tuned, the wheels aligned and catalytic converter checked, and the air con re gassed if you insist on using it.
- Reduce weight, and fuel consumption, by removing unnecessary items from your vehicle that do not need to be there for a particular journey. This can include buggies, golf clubs, tools, footwear and all those things you keep ‘just in case’.
- Check your windows, screen wash and lights – ensuring that your windows are clean and your lights are working will make your journey safer. Nothing more environmentally unfriendlier than an accident.
Think of it as pre-drive checks for your car
Image by freefotouk via Flickr